The actual communication link between the remote control and the main product, the software protocol, is a vital element in each wireless input device. Philips Home Control can meet any required coding standard. When designing a wireless input device, standard codes can be selected, an OEM coding system can be implemented or special codes can be purchased directly from Philips.
Below you will find an overview of the most common used protocols by Philips Home Control, both for infrared & radio frequency:
|RC5: A multi-usage protocol that can meet the requirements for a variety of remote control applications|
|RC6: A multi-usage protocol ideal for CE control applications; Used by Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition, XBOX360|
|RCMM: Multi-media usage for remote control, wireless keyboards, wireless pointing devices, multiple wireless gaming devices. Most sought after by major MSO|
Radio Frequency (RF)
|RCH2: 2-way protocol designed for all house automation applications that require reliable long range control|
|WiFi for AV and multimedia applications|
|ZigBee RF4CE : New low-power, high-speed, 2-way RF standard co-developed by Philips (other founding members: Panasonic, Samsung, Sony)|
|Zigbee, Z-Wave for Home Automation|
The growing complexity of home entertainment applications & networks calls for innovative input solutions. Nowadays, a lot of traditional input solutions are enhanced and mostly combined with intuitive user interfaces.
Below you will find a short summary on different input solutions, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. The list of solutions is endless and we keep on innovating.
- Text entry (sw)
- Menu control
- 4 position and center click
- 16 Direction
- Force Sensing Resistor (FSR)
- Fast Scroll (sw)
- Rotary control
- Touch Screen
Home Control offers a broad range of display possibilities, too many to display here.
Basically, the displays we offer range from:
• Black & White to color
• Different display sizes: from 1.4” to 6.4”
• Different resolutions: from 64x96 to 480x640
• Non touch-screen to touch-screen
With the renewed focus nowadays on the environment, power management is becoming more important then ever. Luckily, we at Philips Home Control, have been pro-actively working on this.
• Philips already offers several low power consumption protocols
• Resulting in a longer battery lifetime and you will thus use less batteries.
• Providing a possibility to work with coin cells
→ When we make use of coin cells, we can cater for a slim & economical design of
the remote, making it more attractive
• Philips also offers rechargeable solutions
• Li-Ion, NiMh battery packs
• Internal charging or external docking
• Worldwide certified power adaptors
• Philips is constantly looking into possible developments for 'green technologies' for remotes.
Home Control offers a broad range of backlighting solutions.
The use of different methods & colors offer endless possibilities.
Our account managers are best placed to give you a proper explanation & recommendation for your specific project. They will then also bring a lot of material samples that you can evaluate in real life.
Philips partners up with different database suppliers
|• A complete database that covers everything does not exist
• Different partners have different strengths, each one has its own specialty
• We offer the possibility to put databases on different IC platforms
Depending on the customer requirements, we recommend which database to use
→ Different parameters are always taken into consideration:
– Cost price
– Quality/ quantity codesets
– Devices (TV/DVD/Airco/…)
Our learnable solutions offer you the possibility to learn IR codes from any remote control.
• This will make the remote future proof
→ Even code sets for all new devices can be learned, as your database will not have these codes included yet.
• Our solutions are also very flexible: e.g. You can re-assign the function of a button.
How to learn codes sets?
• Via your remote control